Monday, March 1, 2010

Goal Crushing Attitudes

As I mentioned before, I had Sales Training for my painting job this past weekend. Not to get too mushy on you or toot my own horn too much, but I think I'm going to do pretty well this summer with this job. I think it's one of the better things that's going on with me these days. It provides me with a great distraction from everything else that might be bothering me, be it schoolwork, housing issues, or occasional problems with the girlfriend. I'm honestly very excited that I have the chance to run my own legitimate business this summer. I've had a couple other businesses that I've started in the past, namely my lacrosse stinging, building maintenance, and firewood selling jobs, but this is the first one that forces me to hire employees, market to customers, manage my employees, produce work, and actively sell my services to potential customers. I know that it's going to be really tough at times, and I know I'm going to hate it some days, but I think that for the most part I'm going to enjoy it very much. Either way it will be a really good experience for me, not just for business or to put on my resume or whatever but to try to determine and push the limits of what I can do. I'll admit, I'm nervous about how I'm going to find leads and how I'm going to react when I find myself by myself in a customer's home trying to prove to them that I am the person they should trust with their hard earned money. I'm a college kid who has hardly ever painted before, much less painted a whole house and managed a crew of other college kids, why would someone ever think that it is a good idea to entrust me with their money? It's really mind blowing when I think about it, the fact that people are going to be trusting me to paint the biggest investment they've ever made, but the thought also excites me and I know that they won't be making a mistake.
I'm really excited about this job. My executive came up to me after Sales Training ended and told me that he thought I did really well during training and that he thought I was going to kill it this summer. I'm not being cocky, but I know he's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment