Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Standards

So unranked PC beat number 19 UConn in basketball tonight. PC beating ranked teams is not extremely rare, last year we beat Syracuse when they were ranked 15th and Pittsburgh when they were the number one team in the country, but it is a noteworthy event, especially since any win here is an exciting event. I had a feeling that we might win tonight, which I think may have been based on last year's victories over ranked Big East opponents. I didn't go to the game, but was pleased to see the final score of 81-66. "Oh cool, we did end up beating UConn. I'm going to go on with my night now." Unbeknownst to me, defeating the 19th ranked team in the country is equivalent to winning the national championship, because the yelling outside and jubilant Facebook statuses are making me feel like I missed the game of the century. Look, I'm all for school spirit and getting excited about big wins. I was at both the Syracuse and the Pittsburgh games last year. I stormed the court and got wild and went out to Clubbies to get drunk and celebrate. But this isn't beating #1 ranked Pitt, or even #15 ranked Syracuse with the girlfriend-beater Eric Devendorf. This is UConn. They are ranked 19th right now. That's almost 20, which isn't really all that impressive. Yeah, they beat Texas when Texas was number 1 last week, and yeah they're historically a good team, and yeah they're a Big East Rival, but storming the court? Really PC? That's all it takes these days, a blowout win against a team barely in the top 20? I'm embarrassed. What's next, burning down the Dunkin Donuts Center for making the NIT? Come on now. That's just unprofessional. No wonder we're not taken seriously. Step it up please.

No comments:

Post a Comment