Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Moment of Introspection with a Troubling Conclusion

I learned something about myself today. I'm not sure if it's a good thing. I went to my little brother's youth hockey game  because he needed a ride and my dad thought it would be good if I went and showed brotherly support. He's at the Pee Wee level, which, for those not acquainted with the sport, is the first level that allows checking. Over the years I've been to an inappropriate number of youth hockey games, both as a player and to appease my parents' desire that I support the brothers. Of these games, Pee Wee games have always been my favorite, partly because the skill level is a little higher than the younger divisions but mostly because checking is permitted. While watching the game today and seeing 11 and 12 year olds running each other into the boards, I realized that I don't entirely blame hockey dads for their tendency to try to fight parents of the kids on the opposing team. I think that nothing gets my bloodlust going more than youth hockey, specifically at levels that allow checking. I don't know why, but something inside me clicks and all I want to see are little kids from Needham destroy the little kids from whatever town they are playing. Even worse, a lot of the time I want nothing more than to suit up and ruin some middle schooler's day. My kids should not play hockey.

No comments:

Post a Comment