Monday, September 19, 2011

Night Out

Standing outside the bathroom at Louie's I see through the saloon-style swinging doors that my old roommate Eric is leaning against the back wall throwing up into the left side of the piss trough while a junior pees into the right side. I point this out to Chris standing in line with me and we laugh and cheer him on. Eric stumbles out and I take his spot, trying to aim my stream so as to wash his vomit into the drain in the middle of the piss trough. I finish peeing and zip up my overalls and step through the doors to wash my hands in the sink between the bathrooms. Eric, standing at a table in the corner still holding his pitcher of beer, calls me over.
"Dennis, you're sorta my roommate so I guess I have to tell you this," beckoning me closer like he has a secret for me as I chuckle. "Steph got pregnant." His vomit breath smells awful next to my face and I try to maneuver to make it easier to avoid. Steph and Eric had dated for a while last year. She was a nice girl but not too bright and he wasn't the nicest boy, and the last time I had seen them together she had burst into his house saying "I just want you to know I think you're a piece of shit and you're not worth my time," and when she burst back out of the house I said "Serve 'em up" and filled our glasses with whiskey. This had happened on Tuesday and it's Thursday now so it makes even more sense now.
"That sucks man. What're you gonna do?" I try to ask but what can you really say to that in the middle of crowded Louie's on Thursday night? He says something about her taking some pill or something but it doesn't really make sense then he stumbles away. I try to think about it but the girl I like walks by so I go and try to talk to her but she's not interested so I get another drink and talk to my friend working the door then take off my shirt and wear just my overalls. I go to pee again and the vomit is washed away. We leave Louie's and go to Old's and I take my shirt off again and steal a pink umbrella from a girl I think is cute and interesting and go to bed alone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment